Friday, September 30, 2011

How d'ya like them apples?

This week I participated in the Libby Top Sew Along over at Craftiness Is Not Optional. I have made a few things from this blog and I find the tutorials really easy to follow and great for a person who is fairly new to sewing (admission - I've only been sewing for about 6 months). So thank you to the creative and talented Jess, the creative force behind CINO!

So here it is - my version of the Libby Top.



I went for a pretty simple red polka dot fabric with white cotton for the bib, but to make it stand out a little, what better than a novelty button? Anna and I went shopping together, and she chose some green apples - I must say, an excellent choice.


A lot of skills in sewing are new to me so every project is a challenge. My biggest challenges here were:

1. Making the bias binding - I had great success (using this tute) and felt very smug about the whole thing! :)
2. Making a sleeve pattern - the sleeves came out a bit flared but I actually think it gives the shirt a bit of a retro shape, so a bit of a happy accident there. I definitely need more practice at sleeve making.
3. On the hanger it came together well but once Anna was wearing it a little gap in the bodice was obvious. If it was any bigger I'd unpick and resew it, but who can be bothered? It looks OK! And she loves it.

The modelling session didn't last long - there were much more interesting things to do - 


Like making silly faces.


And running around the yard like a maniac. Good times!

8 comments:

  1. It's great, Ros!!! The green buttons are a good choice, contrasting well with the white and red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute buttons (and cute-as-a-button kids!)! Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty and a perfect shirt for this time of year because of those cute buttons. I am a new follower from Tatertots and Jello. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO CUTE! Ah! I so want this for my daughter! -jamie @ theletter4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh they are both adorable. Love them apples. Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you made the Libby Top – in red polka dot…how adorable! What a gorgeous model you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this is so cute!! I need a girl to sew for!! love the buttons!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments - I adore hearing from you! I love to reply personally via email so if your email isn't visible in your profile feel free to leave it in your message so I can get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...